Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tempo run and a doughnut


Yesterday was National Doughnut Day. You've gotta love Twitter for such useless information. Actually, my husband made fun of me for knowing it was National Doughnut Day, but nonetheless he took me to Donut Connection to get some doughnuts. I told myself that I was allowed to eat a chocolate-iced cream-filled doughnut after my tempo run, and to reward myself for my first three weeks of training.


On Thursday I went to Zumba to get some cardio in after work. I tell you what, Zumba is no joke. I have noticed a nice difference in my body after adding 2 Zumba classes this week. An hour of that class and I'm sweating as if I just ran 5 miles. After Zumba, my friend Keely and I hit up a Mexican restaurant and ate vegetarian fajitas and rice. We skimped on the tortilla chips, trying to be good. She's been a vegetarian for 15 years, and I love vegetables so it's nice to eat out with her. I feel like I'm eating healthier.


So, back to my tempo run and doughnut. I ran a little over a mile from a local church to the high school track, then ran 3 miles at a 9:45 min/mile pace, then ran back to the church. It was wet outside, but not raining. The run felt great. I used to dread running around a track. The idea of running 4 laps, much less 12, used to be so daunting. Now I can knock it out no problem. After my run, my husband and I went out to O'Charley's for dinner. I had salmon, rice, a side salad, and half a roll. And yes, I still ate my doughnut when I got home!

I was looking forward to yesterday's run because it was the last run of the week, and next week is a recovery week. I just have to run 3 days next week, 4 mile easy runs. Well, I do have a 5k next Saturday, but that will be fun. I get to run with a cop, lol. I feel like I need a little break, though. Training for a big race can wear you out, and I definitely don't want to overtrain and get injured or burned out. I'm not used to this consistent training, so my body is like, 'what are you doing to me??' I know I can do it though! Three weeks down, 13 more to go!


Next run: Sunday - 4 mile easy run

Total miles for this week: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment