Monday, January 18, 2010

New Years Resolution 2 week update

Not so good.  Ok, it's been terrible.  I have not put forth much effort at all.  But, I have one excuse, which wouldn't even be an excuse if I had better prepared myself.  The first week I was going to start my resolutions to eat clean and run and such and ended up working six 10-hour shifts from Monday thru Saturday.  Needless to say, I wasn't able to get in clean eating or exercise with that work schedule.  I usually only work four 10-hour shifts, but we had a pharmacist on vacation and I chose to pick up the slack (and the overtime, lol).  Had I thought it out and prepared my meal plan for the week, I would've been fine, but I didn't and I was a total flop.  Last week was no excuse at all, I just didn't do anything I should've done.  I did run my 8k, on Sunday the 10th, though.  Yay me!  The only problem was that the entire 5 miles was a sheet of ice and snow, and I was more worried about not falling on my ass than speed.  This may have been a good thing because I ran a slower pace and finished without feeling like I wanted to die. 
























I snapped this pic after the race.  I have never ran on ice and snow before, but it was kind of fun to do it with about 200 other crazy people.  I bet the neighborhood thought we were nuts!  I ended up finishing in just under 53 minutes for an average pace of about 10:30.  Last year I ran the same race in about 48 minutes, but there wasn't snow or ice on the ground and I actually trained for it.  This winter, as you all know, I haven't been running much at all.  The 10k is on Valentine's Day, so I have some time to prep for that, and I will actually train for it (I will!!).  I don't really think I can go into a 10k without running at least a few times per week, so I will have to train.  And, if I train like I want to and do well, then I may have my eye on the Pittsburgh half marathon on May 2.  Hopefully, I will get back into my groove training for this 10k, and the weather will be warming up shortly after that.  The weather has been by far my biggest barrier to running.  Winter kind of depresses me and I don't want to run in the cold or on a treadmill.  When the weather warms up, I will be outside guaranteed. 

So, I was really super motivated by a blog that was posted by Running Journal.  She is an absolutely amazing runner and is currently dedicated to eating clean.  Her blog was an inspiration to do what I need to do - go grocery shopping, come home and prep all my food for the week, and take it with me everyday.  It is very nice today, so I'm going to go for a run, then go to the grocery store and come home and prep my food.

I hope everybody is doing well and sticking to their resolutions.  I haven't forgotten or given up on mine, I'm just getting a late start!

1 comment:

  1. eating clean seems to be pretty hip these days. i know it'd be good for me but... i am lazy! hopefully i can take baby steps towards cleaning up my eating at some point.

    running on snow/ice definitely slows me down too. i'd much rather just go slow and get the miles in safely than bust my butt :)

    now that the ot is over, get back on those resolutions! :)

    ReplyDelete